COUNSEL YOU CAN COUNT ON TO SEE YOU THROUGH LIFE’S MANY MILESTONES
Ron Chisholm has practiced law in Truro Nova Scotia for more than 25 years. He articled with Patterson Kitz, then worked for 3 years as an associate in a smaller firm before founding the partnership Yuill Chisholm Law Firm. For the next 12 years he built a successful practice engaging primarily in litigation, either civil, criminal or divorce, and established a successful Real Estate practice.
Ron has been a successful entrepreneur, building two start up companies, Scotia Innovators Inc. and Starboard Innovations Inc, that developed and sold innovative products into the retail market – Earning him a finalist position in the prestigious Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year awards in 2004. In addition to his law practice, Ron is also co-owner of successful Real Estate company.
One of the many highlights of Ron’s legal career include: representing residents of the NS School for Girls in Truro and being the first lawyer to file an action against the Nova Scotia Government for institutional abuse. He and two other lawyers were successful in having the government appoint the provincial Stratton Inquiry which resulted in the negotiation of a Memorandum of Understanding for compensation of victims of correctional center institutional abuse in Nova Scotia.
- Qualifying as a Mediator under the Children and Family Services Act;
- Receiving designation as a per diem crown prosecutor completing all of the youth court prosecutions in Shubenacadie for a period of 2 years between 1993-1994;
- Successfully completing numerous criminal code and controlled drugs and substances act prosecution;
- Completing a successful prosecution of Trenton Steel Works under the Occupational Health and Safety Standards Act for the death of an employee in an industrial accident;
- Appointed to the Assessment Appeal Tribunal for the Northern Region;
- AND, an active member of the Colchester Co. Bar association being chairman of the library committee for many years.
With a firmly held belief that it is everyone’s responsibility to give back to the communities we live in, many of Ron’s most treasured accomplishments are found in the charitable work done for the betterment of our community in Truro. While much of it is done without notice, occasionally the results of these efforts are recognized for the valuable contributions they are to our society. Such is the case in early 2015 as an inductee into the Truro Sports Heritage Hall of Fame in the Builder Category. This honour is the result of his work to incorporate a non-profit society, the Cobequid Society for Athletic Excellence (CSAE), and the countless hours Ron and three others gave over the course of 4 years to planning, negotiating, organizing; and raising the 2.2 million dollars needed to make the multi-sport recreational facility known as the Cougar Dome, a reality.
Other notable involvements in the community include:
- Member of the Executive of the Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission for the past 5 years; Presently serving as chairman of the Audit Finance Committee; Presently member of the Tariff Review committee; Involved in the completion in 2014 of the Strategic Plan for NSLA called “Here to Help” expanding the mandate of NSLA going forward.
- Past President (10 years) of the Dismas Society (half way house for those paroled from federal correctional institutions); received the Dave Lavers Memorial Award from the Dismas society for outstanding contribution to Correctional Services in Northern Nova Scotia.
- Standing as a candidate for the riding of Truro-Bible Hill Salmon River in the 2006 Provincial Election campaign.
- Fund raiser for “Major Gifts” for the new Colchester Regional Hospital “To our Health” campaign that successfully raised 24 million dollars for the construction of the new hospital in Truro.
- Past President of the Truro Tennis Club that completed a major overhaul of the facility raising $120,000 for the building of 2 new courts and the refurbishing of the 4 existing courts and re-organization of the direction and programing of the facility.
- Executive secretary and chairman of the Board for the Cougar Dome sporting complex in Truro;
- Teaching religious education to junior high school students for 23 years. In 2012 received the Halifax-Yarmouth Archdioceses Docet Award for commitment in teaching youth catechists and religious education .
- Member of the Council of Ministries at Immaculate Conception Church Truro.